Sunday, June 12, 2005

Spoon w/ the Clientele at the Vic, June 11, 2005

I've already covered Spoon here, so I'm not going to rehash everything. But for starters, the Clinetele was not so good. I mean, I guess they were OK, but they were kind of like the Innocence Mission with a guy singer. There are times where I want to listen to the Innocence Mission. Last night was not one of them.

So with that out of the way, let's get to the headliners. Incomplete and out of order set list (except for the first song, Chicago at Night, which they probably always lead off with in Chicago):
  • Chicago at Night
  • Beast and Dragon Adored
  • Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine
  • I Turn My Camera On
  • My Mathematical Mind
  • Delicate Place
  • Sister Jack
  • I Summon You
  • Infinite Pet
  • Small Stakes
  • Way We Get By
  • Jonathan Fisk
  • Paper Tiger
  • Everything Hits at Once
  • Me and the Bean
  • Lines in the Suit
  • Fitted Shirt
  • Anything You Want
  • Utilitarian
  • Metal Detektor
I think that's it. I may have missed one or two. Nothing from Telephono (which was not available at the merch booth, not even bootlegged), and only a couple songs from A Series of Sneaks, and those came during the encore. I wanted to hear Nefarious, Don't Buy the Realistic, Not Turning Off, Plastic Mylar, Car Radio, and The Guestlist/the Execution, but I guess I'll have to settle for a 20 song set.

Personally, I thought they rocked. And that's with my opinion jaded by two things: 1) the Angels blew two leads in the late innings on lost on a Cliff Floyd homerun (I was checking the wireless web on my phone during the show), and 2) my buddy walked out halfway through because he wasn't enjoying the show, which I thought was a little weird (but it was really hot in there). The latter was mitigated by me taking his spot, from which I could see everything very clearly, compared to the crappy spot I was in before that.

Britt Daniel looked like he was having a pretty good time, and that encouraged the crowd to do the same. Jim Eno was smiling throughout as well, and when the band is having fun, it usually makes for a pretty good show. So despite the Angels thing and the other thing, I give it a thumbs up.

No comments: