Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Neglect

Because of the success of the Angels, I've barely had any time to cover the Kings. With the NHL season getting underway tonight, it's probably a good time to mention that this blog will hopefully start featuring more Kings stuff in future, with one caveat. I calledt Comcast yesterday to order the Center Ice package, and the person with whom I spoke couldn't find any evidence that they were carrying it this year. This, quite naturally, pissed me off. However, the Center Ice package uses the same channels as the Extra Innings package. The on-screen guide has those channels showing games tonight, includind the season opener between the Kings and Stars. There's a free preview this week, so it's possible that the person I spoke with is simply a moron. I guess it's possible that they're showing the preview, but not offering the package for some reason. Honestly, with Comcast purchasing the rights to broadcast national NHL games on its stations, like OLN, you'd think their cable outlets would all be offering the package and promoting their product. But if there's one thing I've learned, it's that cable companies are stupid.

Anyway, with the rule changes, roster changes, and anything else that might have changed in the year the NHL took off, I have no idea what to expect. The Kings disappointed me this off-season, either not pursuing good targets, or failing in those pursuits. We've been told that this CBA is what they've been positioning themselves for the last few years, and they didn't really act like it this summer. They did have a terrific team in Manchester last season, so maybe they're expecting big things from the kids. The pundits don't seem to be, but those guys are rarely on the mark.

So I guess we'll sit back and see if the lack of movement pans out.

No comments: