Saturday, May 21, 2005

MLB Begins Annual "Fan Alienation Days"

The Angels and Dodgers meet up again this afternoon at the Ravine at 1:05 PDT. You can catch the game on Fox. Correction, you can catch the game on Fox....if you happen to live somewhere near the West Coast. If you don't, you're stuck watching some other game. I don't live near the West Coast, so I'm stuck watching the Cubs and White Sox. I've made no secret of my hatred of the Cubs, and my general indifference to the White Sox. Suffice to say, this is a game that I normally wouldn't be watching. But if I want to watch baseball, I don't have a choice.

I paid $150 (or was it $130? I can't remember) for the Extra Innings package so that I could watch as many Angels games on my nice new TV as possible. Occasionally, like last night, some asshole at MLB chooses not to show the Angels on Extra Innings, so I paid another $80 to watch those games on the computer. Sometimes, neither team televises the game, so I'm stuck listening to the radio broadcast over the net.

That takes us to Fox. MLB has decided that Fox should be able, once a week, to make fans bend over and take it in the ass. If your team is playing on the national (loosely translated to mean "regional") game, and you're not in the region where it is being shown, you're shit out of luck. Since much of the time the Angels will be the Saturday national game on the West Coast, that means a lot of radio days for me. Which means little to no recaps for you, my loyal readers. So if you click back this evening looking for a recap, blame Rupert Murdoch. That's usually a good strategy for most things that go wrong, I've learned.

Go Angels.

No comments: