Thursday, May 19, 2005

Explanation, Please

Pitchfork Media, the best site on the web for indie news, reviews, and interviews is curating the Intonation Music Festival this summer in Chicago. It figures to be a terrific event. Two days of affordable live music with acts as diverse as.....well, screw it. I really couldn't care less about some of the acts on the list, so let's just keep it to the good ones. The Wrens, AC Newman, Broken Social Scene, and the Decemberists lead off the good bands. I guess Les Savy Fav and Xiu Xiu are OK, but I really haven't gotten into them yet. At one time, the Fiery Furnaces were on the bill, but they've magically disappeared. And it appears that gremlins have gotten hold of some of the other details as well. To wit, the following was posted at Pitchfork on April 5th:

The gates will open at noon each day, and there will be no advance tickets (which means no dealing with the evils of Ticketmaster or scalpers). Admission will be $10 at the door and certain proceeds will go to benefit the Chicago Park District's after-school music programs. The park is located at 1419 W. Blackhawk St. Stay tuned to Pitchfork and the websites below for more information and updates to the lineup.


Sounds simple enough, and a bit of a maverick way of going about selling tickets. Only 1o bones per day, and all at the gate! No service charges! Kudos, Pitchfork. But then, somewhat curiously, this appeared just a few days ago:

Tickets are on sale for Pitchfork's Intonation Music Festival. We will be rocking Chicago's Union Park on Saturday, July 16 and Sunday, July 17. Tickets are $15 per day, and a limited number of $22 two-day passes will be available, as well. For ticket information, visit the Intonation Music Festival website by clicking here.


Hmm. Tickets are on sale, yet the event doesn't begin until July 16. That sounds like an advanced sale to me. And tickets have magically risen $5 per day. But hey, don't fret, because if you act now, you can get a two day pass for $22, saving $8 in the process, right? Not so fast, my indie friend. Yesterday I purchased my $22 two day pass. Only, to do that I had to make the purchase online. And guess what. After a $3.50 shipping charge, and $3.50 service charge, I save a whopping $1. That should be enough to buy perhaps an ounce of water at the festival. And for the record, the location changed as well, from fairly convenient Pulaski Park over in the Wicker Park area, to less convenient Union Park in the West Loop, or whatever the hell they call the area west of the West Loop.

Now, this is all gonna seem like whining, and it is to a certain extent. I can't deny that. But like I said, it's not like I won't go. There's at least three bands that I REALLY want to see, and $29 for that is more than reasonable. What gets me is the fact that there's no explanation. I understand changes in the lineup. Bands are added, bands drop out, etc. But geez, a 50% increase in price with no explanation. From no advanced sales and "We're doin' that all for you" to advanced sales and service charges.

So to recap:

Lineup = Excellent
Location = I can't complain
Price = Still quite reasonable
Changes = I can live with them
Lack of explanation = What the fuck?!

No comments: