Thursday, March 01, 2007

Day Two of Not Caring

Honestly, I've tried, and I just can't bring myself to care about this whole Gary Matthews thing. Quite honestly, I'm much more concerned about UCLA vs. Wazzu, and Anze Kopitar missing the game against the Ducks tonight, because really, if he's not playing, what point is there in watching?

Why don't I care? Let's break it down.

Assume he's innocent:
  1. Last year, though a fluke, wasn't chemically enhanced;
  2. There's a chance he could work out OK this year, maybe next;
  3. It's still an awful contract, and it will be brutal in two years.
Assume he's guilty:
  1. Last year was a fluke AND chemically enhanced;
  2. There's a smaller chance he could work out OK this year;
  3. It goes from being an awful contract to a REALLY awful contract that's already brutal.
Honestly, I don't see much difference between guilt and innocence at this point. Either way, the deal sucks, and this is a distraction. The bright side, of course, is that he could get suspended for a while. The really bright side would be a situation in which the Angels could void his contract, but I don't see that happening.

Basically, I think this was such a bad deal at the time that I don't think anything could make it much worse. It's about as bad as it gets. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but I have such little affection for Matthews to begin with that this whole situation doesn't make me like the move any less.

No comments: