Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Angels 5; Mariners 6

In three games so far this season, the Angels bullpen has been very good, very bad, and very mediocre. Unsurprisingly, the latter two efforts led to losses despite solid offensive performances, and the Angels find themselve 1-2 going into the weekend series against the Yankees.

It's almost impossible to write about game outcomes at this point with a view towards the rest of the season. There's simply no way to tell what three games against one opponent mean in the greater scheme of things. It's like when I used to play hockey and we'd have seasons that were nine games long. You never knew until about 4 or 5 games in just how you matched up. So while the outings from Yan and Donnelly were no doubt disturbing, it's impossible to know whether we can expect more of the same. Can we really expect Salmon to hit like this all season? God, I sure hope so.

For the second straight night (hey, it's night where I live), the Angels got behind early, let the game get away from them in the middle innings, staged a comeback that brought the tying run to the plate, but couldn't get that man across, and fell to their Northestern rivals. I missed the first few innings due to work, so three games in, I still haven't seen a full game. What have I seen? Well, I liked the swing that Mathis put on the ball in the ninth, but the way he pulls off tells me that he's not going to be hitting many out to right field. I like the fact that they've been patient at the plate in the late innings. I like that they haven't given up when they've gotten behind. But I don't like the fact that they keep getting behind.

Tomorrow is an off day as they prepare for the home opener. The Angels have the advantage in that they have what many consider to be their likely ace on the mound against the Yankees #4 starter. But it would be nice to see them get out and get some early runs, hold a lead, and win a game from the outset. I'm as pessimistic after a loss as the next guy, but damn, it's only game three. Long way to go.

No comments: