Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Broken Social Scene

These guys are very, very good. Just caught them on Saturday night for the second time (first time was Intonation/Pitchfork a couple years ago), and wow, what a set. I'll be the first to admit that they do a lot of stuff that isn't always my cup o tea, but when they're on, they're on. Good examples below (Stars and Sons, Cause = Time).

Also, they're a supergroup with a new concept: Showcase their stars. Their last two albums have been presented as "Broken Social Scene Presents (Kevin Drew/Brendan Canning). The new Canning album has the inside track for the title of my favorite album of the year, alongside the Whigs "Mission Control".

Anyway, I have a new Song of the Day up over at the appropriately named "Song of the Day" which discusses two of my favorite tracks from the new album. Check it out, in addition to the awesomeness below. If you don't like it, I can't help you.

Thanks.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was able to see BSS in New York a few years ago when they opened for Dino Jr. I remember it being pretty good but don't remember too many details. I would also like to say thanks for your post on Simple Kid. It was probably a few months ago (or maybe longer). I finally bought "2" and it's pretty darn good. Lil' King Kong is a great opener even though it's a straight lift of Zeppelin's "Travelling Riverside Blues." Thanks again.

Seitz said...

No problem. Glad you liked it. His first album "1" is pretty good as well.