Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Jamar Smith Watch 2/13/07

I've had some fun at the expense of Jamar Smith and his shooting slump this season. Well, not fun so much as I've just sort of taken out my frustration with him in this space. But I've never stopped rooting for him.

Well, Jamar Smith and Brian Carlwell were in a car accident last night. Both were injured and Carlwell is in critical condition. Pretty much every player on the team has been hurt this year. Strange season.

Get well soon, Brian and Jamar.

Update: Carlwell has been upgraded to serious but stable condition. Jamar has evidently been cited for illegal lane usage, whatever the hell that means. The Illini don't play against until Saturday at home vs. Northwestern.

Apropos of nothing, the accident occurred on First street around the intersection with St. Mary's, just south of the Assembly Hall. That's about a block from where I used to live second year, on First just south of Gerty. Assuming the arrow on that picture is close, but not 100% accurate, the accident could have happened right where that little curve in the road is. The road also goes slightly uphill there, and when there's snow, it could be a little treacherous. I actually got into an accident at that same corner on the first day of second semester during my second year, also a snowy day (I hit the brakes and didn't stop, bumping the car in front of me).

No comments: