Friday, June 02, 2006

Off Day, so here's some music

I went over to Reckless Records yesterday because I had to kill some time while getting my glasses fixed, and spennt my time going through their used CDs. It's something I used to do all the time when I was back in LA and there were some good used record stores around. Then in Champaign, we had Record Swap, which, other than maybe Amoeba and Lou's, is probably the best used record store I've ever been to. Haven't really done it as much in Chicago though. Strangely there don't appear to be as many good stores in my area outside of Reckless, and honestly, this was the first time I'd gone there.

Found a bunch of good stuff, although I was looking for the La's CD, which they didn't have. It was stolen along with my car a few years ago, and though the car was found, I never got the CD back. But aside from that, I was able to pick up:
  1. The The - Mind Bomb
  2. Apples in Stereo - Tone Soul Evolution
  3. Spacemen 3 - Recurring
  4. Beta Band - Hot Shots II (already had it burned, but I decided to pick up the original
  5. Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes
  6. Broadcast - The Noise Made By People
The last one is a CD I've been seeking for a couple of years now with no luck. Never in stock at the Virgin Megastore. I was able to pick up Work and Non-Work, but apparently this one is out of print, and Reckless priced it as such (about $23). Broadcast is kind of a loungy pop act in the mold of Stereolab, but not as expiremental, and not as French. I first heard them on an personal internet radio thingy that probably played them because they sound a little like the Lab. The song that kept coming up was Papercuts, and lo and behold, the video is available on YouTube. So in all it's glory, here it is. Enjoy Trish Keenan's voice.

UPDATE - Youtube removed the first Broadcast video I posted, so here's a replica, and another tune.



No comments: