Saturday, August 06, 2005

My bastard neighbors

Apparently they don't realize that I need their wireless connection to listen to Angels games, and they didn't hook up until about midnight tonight, so I got updates on my cell phone while watching Dig! again. It's the story of the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols (see sidebar for links). If you haven't seen it, well, what the hell are you waiting for? In lieu of writing all of this crap again, I'll repost a review I wrote on PlanetSocks:

Missed this when it was in the theaters, but that's because it was only out for about a week. I'd be interested in hearing what other people thought of this movie, especially those who were either unfamiliar with or not fans either the Dandy Warhols or the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Personally, I've been a fan of the Dandys since "Come Down" came out seven or eight years ago (you've probably heard some of their stuff in movies or commercials), and I've become a fan of BJM in the last few months (I suggest listening to some of "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland" for those who are unfamiliar with their work).
Courtney Taylor: Didn't really seem different than I expected him to be. Arrogant, talented, kind of a pretty boy. He actually seemed a bit more down to earth compared to what I've seen in interviews, and he's downright normal compared to Anton Newcombe.

Peter Holmstrom: Seemed like the most well-adjusted person in the entire movie, except for maybe Miranda Lee Richards, but she was only in a small bit of the film.

Zia McCabe: I'm still in love with her, and damn she's hot when she's wearing glasses. I was glad to see they included a bit with her topless, since she hasn't hung 'em when I've seen them live.

Anton Newcombe: Fucking nuts. He's channelled the late '60s Stones perfectly, though. The guy knows his shit when it comes to writing music. Seriously, if you like the Stones, put on a BJM record, and it will sound incredibly familiar for something you've never heard before.

Joel Gion: Fucking hilarious. Probably the most entertaining aspect of the movie. You gotta love a guy who's only contribution is playing the tambourine. And his joke about dicksucking was probably the funniest part of the movie.

Matt Hollywood: Also wrote some very good stuff for BJM. Seemed easily irritable at times, but I'd imagine that anyone with his talent would get pissed off at Anton. A lot.

Peter Hayes: Alright, so he's barely in the movie, but I had no idea that was once part of BJM. He's one of the front-men in Black Rebel Motorcycle Club now, who you will like if you're into the Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Spacemen 3, or other shoegazer stuff.

I'd suggest getting hold of a copy of the two disc special edition DVD. I don't usually go for the extra bits, but the "where are they now" stuff was pretty good.

No comments: