Monday, May 02, 2005

First softball game of the season

Last night was our first tilt in Darien since last summer, and for me it was the first time I'd been on the field since October. Things didn't go too bad, although we lost pretty handily. The wind was blowing out, and each team reached their complement of four homers per. I was one for two (I'm calling that a hit), with a walk and run scored.

Not much going on in the field. I think we only recorded two or three outs in the outfield all night. In left, I basically only a had a few chances on base hits, but they're an agressive running team, so I feel good that no one took an extra base on me. They wore me out in the fourth inning (damn, I'm outta shape), with a homer wayyyy over my head, and few line drive singles, and fly out before I was really ready for the pitch. Pretty routine play, but it's tough there under the lights, so I don't take anything for granted. I need to catch with two hands, though. I don't worry about a lot of fundamentals, but that's one thing that I've always prided myself on. This time I'll blame it on being slightly out of position after coming on to the field after the previous homer.

If we can shore of the left side of the infield, I think we'll be OK. Must have warmed up just right because my arm was sore today. Felt great to be out chucking the ball around again. Looking forward to next week.

No comments: